Methodism in Quinton goes back to the early days of the Methodist revival, and was responsible full erection of its first place of worship. Although it in those days Quinton was a small village of Worcestershire, regarding Halesowen rather than Birmingham as its metropolis, it would have been strangers anyplace so nearer to what we now know as the Black Country, then becoming so rapidly industrialised and populated, should have escaped so far reaching an influence as Methodism. In that the Journal of John Wesley there are at least five references to occasions between 1781 and 1790 when he preached here. Until recently the house but which she stayed has been inhabited, and the crockery used on his visits as well as a chair from which edition says he preached were long treasured.
They have been two Wesleyan chapels in Quinton, both on the same site. The first, opened by John Wesley himself, was demolished in 1877 to make way for its more commodious successor which still remains standing. No longer required for its original purpose it is lending its help to the postal authorities until such time as it is required to be pulled down for road widening purposes by the Birmingham Corporation, to whom it now belongs.
Primitive Methodism has been represented at least since 1827, when the 15 members were reported to the Darlaston Circuit Quarterly Meeting as forming the Quinton Society. If there have also been two chapels of the younger denomination in Quinton, though the Primitive Methodists met for worship, before they had a chapel, in a barn which still stands, almost at the junction of Monkton Road (Kingsway) with Hagley Road at the top of College Road. The First Chapel, built in 1840, was situated in College Road on the opposite side to the present Church and nearer to the main road.
The barn in Monckton Road
William Clowes, one up of the founders of the denomination, visited and preached here as the following extract from the Connexional magazine for 1846 shows.
On Sunday, November 16th, Mr Clowes preached two sermons at Quinton, and though the day was very infavourable, yet the congregations and collections were good. Mr Clowes, with his usual zeal and energy, brought down upon us the Divine Glory, so that every heart seemed to be filled.
This chapel he has been described as one of the very great curiosity “ in its internal arrangements and purposes” and “ visitors interested in architectural eccentricities” were advised to “seek an inspection of the interior construction of the building.” It was sold for £70 to Mr John Reid.
© QLHS 2004
Ed’s comment- The above is an extract from the Methodist Church of Quinton-Jubilee 1888-1938 souvenir handbook. The booklet was kindly donated to the society by Peter Morris, who now lives in Sheffield. Peter attended the Quinton Church School from 1955 to 1961. His father was the organist at the College Road Methodist Church until his untimely death in 1965. Many thanks Peter for these valuable treasures of Quinton’s history.
Click here to go back to the Oracle page.