Centenary Celebrations of the
On 9th November 1909 Quinton Parish Council, chaired by the Reverend James Jones, formulated the plans for the annexation of Quinton to Birmingham and the Lord Mayor of the day Sir George Hamilton Kenrick attended the event in Quinton Park. One hundred years later, Bernard Taylor, chair of Quinton Local History Society, invited the present Lord and Lady Mayoress, Councillor Michael Wilkes and his wife Vivienne Wilkes to attend the ceremony celebrating the centenary of this auspicious day in Quinton’s history.
Celebrations took to the streets with a procession that began at 1pm from Christ Church the Quinton Rectory, Hagley Road West and ended in Quinton Park. The proceession, led by Northfield Caledonian Pipe Band passed along Hagley Road West, High Street, Ridgacre Road West, The Green, Meadow Road, Chichester Drive and Powell Avenue into the Park where the Lord Mayor arrived at 1.30pm to officially mark the centenary by the planting of a commemorative tree.
The Lord and Lady Mayoress were then invited by Quinton History Society, together with the committee, Ward Councillors and invited guests to attend a reception in the Parlour at Quinton Methodist Church. The proceedings ended at about 2.45pm when the Lord and Lady Mayoress had to leave for another function at 4pm in Birmingham.